- 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1½ cups self-rising cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup jalapeños, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions (use white bulb of onion), finely chopped; reserve green leaves for making hushpuppies)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- COMBINE cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
- COAT catfish with mixture, shaking off excess. Fill a large, heavy skillet half full with vegetable oil. Heat to 350° F.
- ADD catfish in a single layer, and fry until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, depending on size.
- REMOVE fish from oil and drain on paper towels.
- SERVE with Hushpuppies and Tartar Sauce.
- PREHEAT oil to 350° F. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- IN a separate bowl, combine jalapeños, onions, buttermilk, egg and cheese. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- DROP batter by heaping teaspoons into heated oil and fry, turning hushpuppies to cook evenly, until golden brown.
- COMBINE mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, capers, green onions, lemon juice and parsley. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Chill before serving to allow the flavors to marry